God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Religion often tells us that we have to earn our salvation by praying a certain amount, doing mighty works for God and spending all our time at the church; however, God’s grace tells us that we receive our salvation when we believe Jesus died on the cross as a sacrifice for our sins.
God doesn’t want us to love Him out of obligation. He wants us to love Him out of our own desire. He sent Jesus as a sacrifice in the hope that one day we’d draw close to Him and receive the power of His blood. As we look to receive forgiveness and freedom from our sin it’s important to remember:
- Without the blood of Christ, there is no grace
- Grace is anchored in the blood of Jesus
- The innocent blood of Jesus covers the guilty blood of our sin
- Adam’s one act released sin and made us guilty, while Chris’s one act released grace and made us righteous
We safe-guard ourselves and continue to experience the power in the blood of Jesus by:
- Remind ourselves we are forgiven of past, present and future sins
- Believing when God sees us, He sees Jesus because we are completely united with Christ
- Continuing our pursuit of God
- Describe the moment you first received Jesus. How did you experience the power of His blood in the moment? What sins did Jesus’ blood free you from?
- Do you struggle believing God has forgiven you from every past sin you’ve committed? If so, what are they? What has caused you to believe God hasn’t forgiven you? How can you break past that false belief?
- How has your understanding of the blood increased or changed since listening to this week’s message? How has it helped you see God as He sees you?
- How can we stay grounded in the understanding that God sees us as He sees Jesus? How can remind ourselves we are righteous and pure when we start to feel shame and guilt?
- How is God calling you into a deeper pursuit of Him? What has He revealed to you as you’ve gone on your pursuit?
Romans 5:8, Ephesians 2:8, Genesis 2:16-17, Romans 3:25-27, Genesis 3:7, Genesis 3:21, Hebrews 10:1-4, Hebrews 10:10-12, Romans 5:19, Hebrews 10:17, Ephesians 1:3, Hebrews 2:1, Hebrews 10:23-25