In this week’s message, Pastor Tracy Boyd continued our Relationship Status series by discussing the effect soul ties have on our relationships. God made us to be three part beings. We all have a spirit, soul and body; and even though we may not see soul ties forming, every relationship we have has the opportunity to influence our spirit, soul and body. Soul ties form when we allow our soul to become attached to someone or something that has the power to affect them – both positively and negatively. We can experience godly soul and ungodly soul ties. Godly soul ties are formed when we come under and follow God’s ways within our relationships. Ungodly soul ties are formed when we use our relationships to chase after our selfish ambitions. We begin to walk in the freedom of godly soul ties when we make the choice to come under God’s will regarding our relationships.
As we look to get rid of our ungodly soul ties and strengthen our godly soul ties, it’s important to remember:
- whatever our soul is exposed to influences the direction of our lives
- a godly soul tie influences us toward God’s purpose and plan for our lives
- ungodly soul ties are things that we attach to, things that attached to us, and things that influence us away from God’s purpose and plan for our lives
- the most destructive ungodly soul tie is sex outside the context of marriage
- we cannot separate sex and Savior
We eliminate already formed ungodly soul ties by:
- seeing sexual sin as an assault weapon to our purpose
- cutting the soul tie
- calling out the soul tie for what it is
- confessing our soul tie to someone who can help us
- canceling our soul tie
- casting our anxieties upon Jesus
- receiving the empowerment of the Holy Spirit to overcome the soul tie
- What are examples of godly soul ties you currently have in your life? How have you witnessed these relationships help lead you toward God’s purpose? How do godly soul ties empower you to live up to all God created you to be?
- What are examples of ungodly soul ties you had/have in your life? How have you seen these relationships pull you away from God’s purpose for your life?
- How have you seen sexual soul ties affect your relationships with God even after the physical relationship ended?
- What may make it difficult for you to break free from ungodly soul ties you know need to be broken? What causes you to go back to those relationships?
- What practical steps can you take to begin breaking free from ungodly soul ties in your life? Out of cutting the soul tie, calling it out, confessing it, canceling it, casting it and receiving the Holy Spirit’s power, which step(s) can you currently take?
- After making the decision to break free from ungodly soul ties, what can you do to remain in a place where you can continue to receive the power of the Holy Spirit?
- What can you do practically to form new godly soul ties in your life?
1 Corinthians 6:13-18, Genesis 2:24, James 5:16, Proverbs 28:13, 1 Peter 5:7